Re: Per user bandwidth limiting ..for small ISP.using Squid

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 04:58:19PM +0100, Peter Surda wrote:
> I hope people won't mind if I mention my project again:
> http://www.shurdix.org

We're happy to receive any reply at all, really... :-)

> Your situation is however special because you have squid. Combining
> squid and tc is problematic.

I agree; so far I haven't been able to shape squid traffic
the way I want it to. However, shouldn't rshaper suffer from the
same issues? It should at least be possible to do something
similar to rshaper using tc.

> However, there were some kind guys who designed the "tproxy" iptables
> extension, which can help you. It isn't easy to setup and if you have
> NAT you need 2 separate machines (one doing the NAT and one running
> the squid), but is doable. This way tc will see squid's traffic with
> the IP of the real client.

These are about the most interesting lines I've seen on this topic.
However, I'm in a small home network situation, so even having just
one dedicated linux machine is luxury. So any solution that requires
separate machines is not feasible for me.

> My recommendation for your situation would be something like this:
> - keep your router, let it do NAT and perhaps a minimal firewall
> - get a second machine, put it between the router and the LAN, and
> install shurdix there
> - configure it to use TC and Squid (and optionally IP accounting and/or
> firewall if you like). No delay pools necessary.

Other possibilities are:
- Never touch a running system. (If it works, why not leave as is?)
- Find out how exactly rshaper limits and/or distributes
  up- and download bandwidth for
    * User <-> Internet
    * User <-> User
    * Internet <-> Squid (and other caches, DNS etc.)
    * Squid (and others?) <-> User
  and use this information to build a tc class tree.
- If you want to keep rshaper, port it to 2.6 by yourself ;-)

Regards,
Andreas Klauer