Re: Qos and bandwidth control

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 07:01:57PM +0000, Beto . wrote:
> 1.2.3.1 has 256kbit bandwidth "guaranteed"
> clients 1.2.3.2 and 1.2.3.3 has 256kbit bandwith

So I guess that means 512kbit in total?

> so im marking every packet using layer7 iptables module

I have not used layer7 so far, only IPP2P, but the basic idea of
classifying and prioritizing should be the same.

> iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -m layer7 --l7proto ssh -j MARK
> --set-mark 2

No connmark? Does layer7 actually detect every single packet of this
protocol, or only the first ones of a connection? In the latter case,
you'd have to mark the connection, not just a single packet.

> the problem im facing is that i also have to limit client's bandwidth and
> im not sure that my solution is the best. i've searched for an example like
> this in the web but i have found nothing.

I don't know what's best either. My solution was to give every user
a separate HTB class, to limit their bandwidth. Further prioritization
of packets has then to be done inside this user class. Your setup
looks like you're trying to do something similar.

> it could have some errors. Basic protocol detection and enqueue was working
> fine, but im not sure now, with "bandwidth restrictions" additions.

The most common error with HTB classes is that the sum of the children
class rates is not equal to the parent class rate. You got it right for
the root class 1:1 and it's children 1:2, 1:3 (256+256=512kbit), but
it's wrong for the children of 1:2 (200+128+20=348kbit, whereas the
parent can only offer 256kbit in total).

Also, I don't see where in your setup the classification by user is
taking place.

Regards,
Andreas Klauer