Re: Multiple ISP Links - Gateway Not Getting Restored

Perhaps the ip-up / ip-down scripts of pppd could help you to automatically do this load balancing script job?

Manish Kathuria schrieb:
I have been successfully implementing load balancing gateways for multiple ISP links at various locations using Julian's patches and as suggested in LARTC HowTo. At one location, one of the ISPs is providing connectivity through a PPOE DSL link which has to be dialled in everytime to connect. The gateway has been configured on a Fedora Core 3 based system and I have recompiled the 2.6.12 kernel after applying Julian's patches. I have configured the DSL modem in bridge mode and connected it to an ethernet interface on the gateway and use the DSL dialer in Fedora Core 3 to connect to the ISP. This creates a ppp0 interface when the connection goes live which is alloted a static Public IP. The dialer has been configured to redial as and when the link goes down. However the problem is that the kernel is not able to detect when this DSL interface (ppp0) comes back and does not restore the gateway through this link. The loadbalancing script has to be run again to make the kernel treat this gateway as LIVE and make the traffic go out through it.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem ? I have never come across such an issue wherever the link is terminating on an ethernet interface. This ISP is insisting on dialling and then establishing the a PPOE interface. Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Manish