RE: HTB - prio and rate

Jody - Many thanks for taking the time to reply.  It's greatly helped my understanding.

From: Jody Shumaker [mailto:jody.shumaker@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 12 December 2005 19:14
To: Mark Lidstone
Subject: Re: HTB - prio and rate

No, I wrote what I meant.  If classes 1:11 and 1:12 are contending for bandwidth the prio values will have no effect as they are the same.  I was making the point that they would get equal shares of the spare bandwidth because they have equal rates (the spare bandwidth is shared out with classes that have higher rates getting more of the bandwidth than classes with lower rates).

Ahh,  now that I read it again it does read that way. Sorry about misreading it.

OK, so the _ratio_ of rate values for child classes is only taken into account when sharing bandwidth with other child classes that have the same prio value?

That has been my experience.  However, in practice things won't always confirm to these rules exactly.  I think that is more of caused by how TCP throttles bandwidth.  In general though the priority does have the intended effect.

- Jody