Re: HTB - prio and rate

OK, reading back through the thread at Brian's previous comment:

As I wrote before I'm not interested in dividing bandwidth up, just
> prioritizing the use of the full bandwidth by all-comers.

And then being confused by this one:
On Dec 4, 2005, at 8:48 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 07:04 +0100, Andreas Klauer wrote:
On Friday 02 December 2005 23:24, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
Yeah, that is what I want, but why do I need HTB?

You need it only if you also want to limit bandwidth somehow.

But surely HTB is overkill for simply limiting bandwidth and keeping the
queue on Linux and not in the modem no?  In my followup message on this
subject, I used TBF instead.  I don't want to classify bandwidth usage,
just prevent the queing on the modem.

To prioritize, you must classify. HTB allows prioritization and classification... and limitation as well.
Attaching something like this: Root --> TBF --> Prio would be nice, but I haven't succeeded in ever attaching anything to a TBF.. or any other "classless" qdisc. Goes back to my earlier question that went with my earlier answer.

^^^^ very nice ;)

-Jeff
SIG: HUP