Screening packets within tc-classes

Hello list,

I'm currently a bit planless so perhaps someone here could give me a point in
the right direction.

History: I wrote a shaper web tool (http://shaper.netshadow.at) and now got
several feature requests if it would be possible to graph "what's going on"
(this mean per IP address, tcp/udp ports or protocols) in a specific chain. A
chain represents a specific tc-class. Packets get into this chains via
tc-filter or iptables MARK.

Currently I'm drawing graphs with data got from the dequeuing counters via tc
-s class show dev ${IF}. Not the best way - I know - but it was enough till
yet.

Now the question is - is it possible to get direct access to network packets
that flow through a specifc tc-class?

I was thinking about iptables and dumping the MARK-value via libpcap. But I
don't think that this will work because the pcap-filter is attached to the
device itself before the iptables rules (like the restore-mark) are acting. So
I guess libpcap will not see this.

I was also thinking about forwarding the traffic of each chain to a dummy
device. But with a greater amount of chains this will become a enormous
overhead.

In summary I'm searching for a "easy" way to get the traffic which flows to a
specific tc-class to make some graphs. From IP/MAC-Level to tcp/udp ports.

If there is no such way I will simply dump all the data from libpcap and try
to extract the necessary details from this data and parse it.

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers,
Andreas