From: lartc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lartc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Justin Todd
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:03 PM
To: lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Optimizing linux for the routing of realtime video

I'm currently trying to optimize a linux machine which acts as a Layer 3
router of RTP H.263 video.  Occassionally I'll get delays related to layer 2
wireless retries, thus rendering the video on the recieving end
stale/useless.

Is there way to optimize a linux machine to route realtime video? In my
case, losing a few frames of H.263 is better than having the video delayed
for 5 seconds (H.263 has its own methods for error concealing which work
pretty good).

As far as I know, there are a few things I could do:

- Sysctl options allow for some minimal TCP/IP stack configuration
- iptables?
- tc?

Basically, I need some way to discard old data thats sitting in the transmit
queue.

Regards,

Justin