Re: MSN keeps disconnecting with load balancing

I had similiar problems, re-reading the docs seemed to solved my problem, when u create your routing tables, u must make sure, the packet is returning on the same interface, cause what I found happens, that after the caching expired, all my downloads use to break, including msn

this is an example of one interface's routing table, now for each interface do the same , then setup your default global scope

$ip route add 10.0.1.0/24 dev eth2 src 10.0.1.50 table line1
$ip route add default via 10.0.1.19 table line1
$ip rule add from 10.0.1.50 table line1

$ip route add 10.0.2.0/24 dev eth3 src 10.0.2.50 table line2
$ip route add default via 10.0.2.19 table line2
$ip rule add from 10.0.2.50 table line2

hope this helps

ro0ot wrote:
I have this in /etc/iproute2/rt_tables as below: -

216 https.out
219 msn.out

And, I have the below in my custom script: -

$IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth3 -j SNAT --to-source 1.2.3.4
$IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth4 -j SNAT --to-source 5.6.7.8

$IPTABLES -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 443 -j MARK --set-mark 16 $IPTABLES -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 1863 -j MARK --set-mark 19

ip rule add fwmark 16 table https.out
ip rule add fwmark 19 table msn.out

ip route add default via 1.2.3.4 dev eth3 table https.out
ip route add default via 1.2.3.4 dev eth3 table msn.out

But, still I am facing complaints...

Edmundo Carmona wrote:

We have exaclty the same problem in our load-balancing proxy.

Remember that if you are load-balancing, traffic eventually will come
out through another network interface,,, and hence, another source IP.

The problem must be that the MSN service gets "confused" when he sees
that the one session has changed source IPs... or maybe it's a IP
stack problem and not related to the MSN specifically. Anybody can
provide some more feedback on this? The IP session layer is supposed
to keep sessions across changing IPs?

Our "solution" was to tell the MSN clients to use a proxy server that
has a single internet connection (separete from our main proxy server,
which is the one loadbalancing).