Re: simple routing query

I had such a experience with SuSE on a server with two network interface. While only one of them was connected to the lan with a fixed IP, the other was configured by YaST to get it's IP from a DHCP server.

Cause it can't reach it and timed out, the interface didn't get an IP address, but suddenly a 169.254.x.x
route appeared. Probably you hit the same thing.

Payal Rathod wrote:

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:50:34PM -0500, Brett Charbeneau wrote:
http://www.cas.ilstu.edu/shac/Knowledge/Spam/iana.htm

	see the "Autoconfiguration" IP Addresses section.

Yes, I read it, thnaks but I don't understand it.
| Addresses in the range 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 are used |automatically by some PCs and Macs when they are configured to use IP, |do not have a static IP Address assigned, and are unable to obtain an |IP address using DHCP.
|
|This traffic is intended to be confined to the local network, so the |administrator of the local network should look for misconfigured hosts. What do they mean by this? Is it at address given by error due to misconfiguaration.

Payal