Re: Re: must cut the line down too much for shaping to work

[At 02.11.2005 20:38, Jody Shumaker kindly sent the following quotation.]

> i'm only sacrificing 4kbit on my 512kbit uplink and i'm getting the
> results I want. Can you be more specific as to how it was
> "failing" when you had it set closer to the actual link speed?

Sure, I just tried to keep the message as short as possible, expecting
that it will be clear what I was talking about. Sorry.

> The reason to keep the speed limit under the actual connection is
> more of a latency issue. The reason to do it is so you keep the
> queue on your server and thus can guarentee lower latency for
> certain things. From the sound of youe setup, a 2:1:1 ratio split,
> the latency thing isn't really an issue at all. I don't see why
> you couldn't just keep it as the actual connection bandwidth.
>
> Please say what didn't work instead of just saying "didn't work as
> expected" or "No shaping." Give some detailed output that you're
> basing this statement on.

Ok, I'll describe the testcase. All measures was not a matter of
seconds, I always waited at least for a 30 seconds when the situation
stabilized.

I worked with three xterms, each in one of the region, each wgeting a
big file from differrent quick internet server. One station without
HTB on the router got the data as quick as 29-30 KB/s (real and pretty
stable speed). I take this as a 100% bandwidth.

Still without HTB, I started all three wgets and they fairly shared
the 100% bandwidth. But I said I wish 2:1:1 ratio (128-64-64 ideally)
and this was not reached with HTB's 256 kbit ceil - the bandwidth was
still shared 1:1:1. I concluded that the shaping do not work and one
line could therefore dominate the line, keeping down the others when
the line is stressed.

Some 2:1:1 results came when I set ceil down to about 220-225kbit.
Then the first line's wget was truly getting data twice as quick as
the other ones. This agreed with the statements in articles that I
always need to give away some precious bandwidth to be able to shape
it. And with this setting, even one wget gets the data at about 26
KB/s rate, which is a pretty big loss from out point of view (big real
bandwidth cost from the ISP).

So, my shaping works, but the cost is big. I was asking here whether
this cost is normal or I could have something untuned in the setup.

> My best suggestion on the limited information would be to mabye set
> it up with a root class of 256kbit, then setup the child classes
> as 120-60-60 with borrowing. In my own usage, leaving some free
> bandwidth that every subclass has to borrow from seems to work
> better than assigning it all.

I'll try it, when we turn the shaping on, even when I doubt it will
work. But I do not know about it much, we'll see.

===

One more question in case someone here knows, sorry about
overweighting the message: The reason we had to turn the shaping off
temporarily was that we experienced a blackout and our D-Link
DGS-1248T switch forgot all its settings (namely VLANs) without power.
We are currently not able to find out whether it's usual (and how to
defend) or we got a defective piece. If you have a clue, please drop
me a note.

Thanks in advance!

- --

\//\/\
(Sometimes credited as 1494 F8DD 6379 4CD7 E7E3 1FC9 D750 4243 1F05 9424.)