Re: Re: must cut the line down too much for shaping to work

i'm only sacrificing 4kbit on my 512kbit uplink and i'm getting the results I want.  Can you be more specific as to how it was "failing" when you had it set closer to the actual link speed?

The reason to keep the speed limit under the actual connection is more of a latency issue.  The reason to do it is so you keep the queue on your server and thus can guarentee lower latency for certain things.  From the sound of youe setup, a 2:1:1 ratio split,  the latency thing isn't really an issue at all.  I don't see why you couldn't just keep it as the actual connection bandwidth.

Please say what didn't work instead of just saying "didn't work as expected" or "No shaping." Give some detailed output that you're basing this statement on.

My best suggestion on the limited information would be to mabye set it up with a root class of 256kbit, then setup the child classes as 120-60-60  with borrowing.  In my own usage, leaving some free bandwidth that every subclass has to borrow from seems to work better than assigning it all.

Also, are you basing the drop from 30KB/s to 26KB/s off measured transfers or just calculating the bandwidth.  If you haven't tested your actual bandwidth without HTB active I'd suggest doing that.

- Jody Shumaker