Re: How to priorize Traffic

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 21:11, Juan Ignacio Borda wrote:
> I want port 80 and 21 (and others ) to have preference over P2P traffic,
> I don't want to bann P2P just give to it less prio than other more vital
> services... does anyone know how to do it or where to read on.

A good way would probably be to look up some example scripts on the net
that already deal with P2P. There are some that use IPP2P and / or
l7-filter (two project that try to detect type of traffic by looking at
the data of the packets).

My own script uses a combination of HTB / PRIO / SFQ qdiscs and puts said
P2P traffic into the lowest PRIO band. I found this to be quite effective
in my home network, although others might find it a tad too aggressive,
because PRIO won't give any bandwidth to P2P as long as there are
ssh/www/other packets to be sent / received.

You can have a look at the script here: http://www.metamorpher.de/fairnat/

If you're not shaping for clients behind a router, you'll need a bit of a
different approach, but if you've already read the LARTC howto and other
docs it might give you an idea of how to solve it in your own situation.

HTH
Andreas Klauer