Re: Differentiating between http downloads and interactive traffic

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:17:56 +0100
"Paul J. Smith" <pjsmith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been wondering if anyone has thought of a way to differentiate
> between an established http download and interactive http traffic?  I
> would like to give interactive http traffic priority over someone
> downloading large files.

Hello,

you may give the "connbytes" Netfilter extension a try. With that
extension, you can mark those TCP connections which have transmitted a
certain number of bytes. Then you can use the fwmark QoS filter to
differentiate them. (The drawback is that someone can bypass it with
closing the connection after the limit, and resuming the download with
another connection.)

Currenty connbytes is in the extra section, so you must patch the kernel
(and possibly iptables) to use it.

Alternatively, you can use delay pool feature of the Squid HTTP proxy,
which does almost the same on application level.

norbi