Re: The effects of queueing on delay...(TX Ring Buffer the problem)

Jonathan Lynch wrote:
This was down to the tx buffer size on the network card i was using. It
was an Intel 82547EI gigabit Card using the e1000 driver and operating
at 100mbit. The tx buffer was set to 256 which caused this huge delay.
The minimum the driver lets me reduce the tx buffer size using ethtool
is 80. By reducing the tx ring buffer to 80, the delay when there is
full link utilisation and a maximum queue of 10 packets was reduced from
30ms to 10ms.

The 3com 3c59x vortex driver uses a tx buffer of 16. I reduced the tx to
16 on the e1000 driver, but the max throughput i could achieve on the
interface went down.

Has anyone experimented with reducing the size of the tx buffer on this
card to get a good balance between delay and throughput ?

Strange - I thought that as long as you are under rate for the link then the most htb should burst per tick is the burst size specified.

That assumes one bulk class - more will make it worse.

Andy.