Re: FW: Some queueing disciplines that I wrote.

> I have an objection too:
> VoIP (Voice over IP), video and audio streaming are
> "elephants". They are big flows, yet people don't like
> movies played as picture slideshows and interrupted
> audio or phone calls.
> End of objection. - Panca Sorin

Panca Sorin is correct.  Video and audio streaming would suffer if
classified as elephants.

Fortunately they have a different type of service
and are likely to be associated with certain port numbers.  Linux is flexible
and allows you to separate these streams using something like .  If you used video
or audio streaming you would separate these out, probably using the u32 classifier.
Because these are fixed rate, and because they require their fixed rate, these
streams need to be given absolute priority.  So the prio classful queuing
discipline would be a suitable contianer.  Within the prio classful queuing
discipline, the fixed rate flows should be channeled into a simple drop tail,
while the remainder could be channeled into a mice and elephants queueing
discipline such as meredt.

<<winmail.dat>>