Re: FW: Some queueing disciplines that I wrote.

I have an objection too:
VoIP (Voice over IP), video and audio streaming are
"elephants". They are big flows, yet people don't like
movies played as picture slideshows and interrupted
audio or phone calls.
End of objection.

Trying to build a solution:
Making the hipothesis.
I think "intrractive traffic" shoud be defined and
recognized not by it's packet size nor by duration of
the connection nor by ports it comes or goes.
We do not have a "computerized" definition of
"interactive traffic", so we cannot separate it from
"bulk traffic".
We know that "interractive traffic" = traffic that
should have such priority that the user can interract
with the network without being annoyed by network
latency.
"Bulk traffic" = traffic that the user don't care if
is delayed for a few seconds, but has to take place
and finnish in resonable time.
The conclusions:
1. Now that the definitions are given, how can we
sepparate the two, living no chance for programmers to
"cheat" the algorithm? Or maybe we can trust them and
ask them for help and set for interractive
applications' traffic some bits that the routers can
recognize and build some queues accordingly.
2. How many classes do we need and what applications
could be into each of them?
Waiting for some ideas...