Re: HFSC Advanced Limiting

On Thursday 13 October 2005 10:41, Eliot, Wireless and Server Administrator,
Great Lakes Internet wrote:
> I am investigating changing our broadband bandwidth control scripts over to
> HFSC. What I would like to accomplish is this:
>
> { * DOWNLOAD *

Read the replies to the thread "shape downstream of a ppp link" as the same
concept applies here.  It's difficult to shape ingress traffic.  You could,
nevertheless, employ hfsc in some fashion for ingress either with IMQ or by
attaching it to the LAN facing side of your network (pretend ingress is
egress).

<snip>
> What is the maximum number you can use on class IDs?

0xFFF I believe.  (If it's actually 0xFFFF someone correct me.)

> How many customers should one router be able to handle with this kind of
> QoS policy?

That's going to depend on many things, one of which being packet matching.
Were you going to use `tc filter` or, say, `iptables` matching?  For the
former, with so many clients, others have posted they needed to use `tc
filter` with hashtables or the performance hit was huge for thousands of `tc
filter` rules.  (i.e. unusable.)

> With a P3 800MHz proccessor in a router, will I be able to implement this
> complex of a QoS policy and still have it handle 4,000 customers?
>
> What about 10,000?

Maybe.

> Is there any way to do triple numbering for class IDs (i.e. 1:1:2 instead
> of 1:12)?

No.

> Also, if you do not know for certain any of the answers to these questions,
> please do not make conjecture. Only answer with facts. Thank you in advance
> for any responses to this.

Excellent.  Then I'm sure you've read LARTC HOWTO and Google'd extensively
already.

--

Jason Boxman
http://edseek.com/ - Linux and FOSS stuff