From: David Sims [mailto:dpsims@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 10/13/2005 11:38 AM
To: Eliot, Wireless and Server Administrator, Great Lakes Internet
Subject: RE: wondershaper....

Hi Eliot,

  Of course, BGP would be the traditional solution for Policy Based
Routing.... but I like doing things in new and different ways to learn
about them and to see if they are actually better or worse than the
traditional way.... (it's through that process that computer science moves
ahead ;)... It would seem at first blush that Policy Based Routing under
Linux is head and shoulders above the traditional methodologies.... and
I think the functionality is far better than even Cisco's....

  I would agree that fault tolerance is not as good as with one of the
more traditional mechanisms, but think of my environment as a 'lab'...
It's easy enough to swing all the traffic to one T-1 or another in the
event of a failure... even though the volume would kill the working T-1
due to the amount of traffic... A more optimal situation would be to use
ethernet over fiber where one could just get 4 Mb/s without regard to
electical interfaces.... rather than load balancing two T-1s.... but then
there's no backup at all in that situation... it would either be working
or not working....

  Any other thoughts??

Dave