Re: tc - in an abnormal LAN

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 15:06, Ian stuart Turnbull wrote:
<snip>
> I connect to the router with   eth1. My Linux is also a DHCP server and I
> can force the 3 other peoples' computers get their IP addresses from my
> Linux box rather than the DHCP router. Knowing this is there any way of
> using "tc" to share the bandwidth more fairly ? One of the guys in
> particular downloads movies all the time.

Yes.  You need to ensure each of your roommates has a blackholed IP address.
That will solve your problem.

;)

> Naturally they do not want a normal LAN where my Linux is the main server.

Maybe your router has some QoS options?  If you can't stick your Linux machine
between the network and the router/switch, there isn't much you could do.
More seriously, if you provide them with DHCP you could transparently
redirect them through your box and apply QoS without their knowledge, but it
would be far easier to just ask, no?

--

Jason Boxman
http://edseek.com/ - Linux and FOSS stuff