Re: HOWTO unmaintained?

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 23:44, Taylor, Grant wrote:
> > It looks like a number of people are offering sites -
> > IMHO, a "distributed" wiki (ie: you can edit at any of
> > the sites) or a master/mirror setup would be good, as
> > that would help prevent problems if site maintainers
> > get kidnapped by aliens, sites get slashdotted, etc.
>
> I think the Wiki, if that route is chosen, should be on the www.lartc.org
> domain name.  This means that we will have to find and contact the
> administrators of that domain / DNS servers.
(I'm not official subscribed to this list, but I'm still reading some posts)
I know the owner of lartc.org and I mailed him about this problem.  I will
keep the list updated if he answers me.

> As far as the distributed web
> site goes I think it is a good idea.  To pull off the distributed site we
> would need to have the DNS records resolve to multiple boxen across the
> net.  I have considered a self replicating set up for some of my servers
> and at present I'm looking at using Coda or AFS as a replicating  / caching
> local copies of the remote file system content.  I've never dealt with
> Wikis other than and end user (and I say that the ones that I've looked at
> have been slow) so I don't know what they take to set up.  I suspect that
> they use a database and thus we would want to set up the Wiki to use a
> database that has real time replication between the two (or more) web
> servers that the wiki points to.  I would be more than happy to help with
> such an endeavor.  I can not host it at my office (bosses will not let me)
> but I can help provide content and / or convert stuff.
There are lots of wiki's available.  Some use plain text files, some uses
mysql, some are written in php, some are written in perl.  I prefer the mysql
+ php way to store the information.

Stef