Re: Several basic doubts

The greatest benefit is using shaping on the outgoing bandwidth. To do that you need to do it for the nic connected to the internet, and you'd want to limit it to a bit under the total bandwidth, for 256kbit i'd recommend something around 244-250, but it varies on the isp as to how reliably you get a full 256kbit.

Then how you split up the bandwidth completely depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

- Jody

Ricardo Chamorro wrote:

I have a connection cablemodem (down 1024kbit up 256 kbit) that spreads Internet to a LAN of 4 PC. Router-firewall is one 486 DX4 100 96 MB RAM that runs a Debian Sarge (kernel 2,4,25), that does NOT serve nor squid, nor samba, nor smtp, etc.... single do routing-firewalling. I am something confused by opinions and "presumed" manual and howto that I have read and have confused I more... Then I ask to them you: I must do shaping with the NIC that connect with ISP (etho)... or with the NIC of the LAN (eth1)????... Because I have seen opinions on both possibilities, but I have tested the two and second did not give me good results. In the case of using the NIC to Internet (eth0) I must set like CEIL the bandwidth of downstream (1024kbit) or upstream (256kbit)????... And in such case I must set the 75 percent approximately of the bandwidth to avoid to saturate the band? Another question is if it agrees -upon my case- using priorities for the classes...
Thanks in advance
Ricardo