Re: RFC - bandwidth optimization idea

On Saturday 09 July 2005 05:55, Don Cohen wrote:
> What I want, at least conceptually, is that the application maintains its
> own queue of data to be sent, ordered by priority.  Whenever the OS is
> ready to send the next packet for that application, it removes the
> highest priority packet (if any) from the queue and sends it.

Doesn't every QDisc work that way? When the kernel wants to send a packet,
it calls the appropriate dequeue() function in the QDisc. I'm not a kernel
developer so this guess might be wrong.

But still, I don't think that the queueing is the main problem with your
idea... the main problem is, how do you decide what's important and what
not, and what's obsolete?

Andreas