linux bridging problem: how to emulate 2 separate interfaces on a single one?

Hi all.

I would need to use a single physical interface on a Linux box to manage two different IP addresses (belonging to two separate logical subnets) with two different MAC address. (I need to emulate te presence of two separate physical interfaceses for a PC on the same LAN, at layer 2 and layer 3).

Is it possible to use the linux ethernet bridging code and two tap interfaces for this purpose?

Here is a picture of what I need to do.

 LAN__________________________________

                    | eth0 (no IP)
            ________|________
           |                 |
           |       br0       |
           |     (no IP)     |
           |_________________|
          tap0  |        | tap1
192.168.40.1/24 |        | 192.168.30.1/24
          MAC_0 |        | MAC_1
              __|________|__
             |              |
             |      PC      |
             |              |
             |______________|

I would need this picture to be equivalent to this one:

 LAN__________________________________
          eth0  |        | eth1
192.168.40.1/24 |        | 192.168.30.1/24
          MAC_0 |        | MAC_1
             |      PC      |

I tried but it doens't work. I don't know if it's not contemplate or if I did a wrong configuration. For example, on tap0, using tcpdump, I see all the L2 broadcast frames going on the LAN; but on the counters of "ifconfig tap0" all of them are considered dropped. No packet is counted as transmitted or received, also if I try to ping from or to tap0. The tap interface starts to transmit/receive pachets only if it is connected to some process like qemu or openvpn. Maybe, it is not possibile for tap interface to be used directly by the linux os?

Thanks!

Antonio