RE: Help? Router/Bandwidth throttle needed.

> Here's a 'map' of my network 'plan':
>
> +-------+   +--------+          +-------+
> | Dumb  |   | Linux  |          | Linux |
> | Cable +---+ Bridge +----+-----+ DHCP/ +----> Bunch of workstations
> | Modem |   | w/ QoS |    |     | NAT   |      on 192.168.10.X
> +-------+   +--------+    |     +-------+
> X.X.X.62    Eth0 X.X.X.61 |     Eth0 X.X.X.57
>             Eth1 ???      |     Eth1 192.168.10.1
>                       +-----> 3 more servers:  X.X.X.58->60
>
> The X.X.X IPs are routable IPs, just didn't feel like spamming you with
the
> #s.
>
> Can you walk me through how some of those configs you have (particularly
> your bridging script) would work with this?
>
> While I've been dealing with Linux for about 13 years now, I haven't
EVER
> had to do any routing stuff, and this is really starting to stymie me.
I'm
> a programmer, not a sysadmin, by job description.  I'm just the closest
> thing we have to a sysadmin (and good at all the non-advanced stuff).
>
> Also, any reason I'd have to use FC?  I'm rather partial to Slackware
(only
> because it is on lots of my machines already, and I like standardizing
on 1
> distro for my ease of management).  I know slackware has iptables, tc,
> etc... since I've already enabled single-host throttling on 2 other
Linux
> servers (.57 and .58 on my network).

Any linux distro with 2.4 or 2.6 kernel will include the traffic control
stuff you need.

The individual NICs on the bridge don't get IPs. The bridge itself can be
assigned an IP however, for remote management.

Part of my bridging script deals with Spanning Tree Protocol, which you
can leave alone (I use it for redundancy on the old boxes we use as
bridges / QoS).

#whatever you want to call the bridge... not that important
BRIDGENAME="MyBridge1"

# IP of the gateway... the cable modem in your case
GATEWAY="X.X.X.X"

# IP you want to remote admin the bridge from (.61)
BRIDGE_IP="X.X.X.X"

# whatever the netmask should be for your network
BRIDGE_NETMASK="X.X.X.X"

# unless you're going to run multiple redundant bridges, change this to
"no"
STP_ON="yes"

# leave alone unless using STP in which case one bridge gets 1, the other
2
STP_PRIO="1"

The script does assume that the NICs are eth0 and eth1. Change if needed.
You should make a note of which NIC goes which way (using MAC address is
good) and label on the back. This will come in handy as your upload is not
the same as your download.

Comment these lines out until you get the bridge working, then we can help
you get the shaping going.
sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/shape.eth0.sh
sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/shape.eth1.sh

This script is however kind of designed for Redhat with the chkconfig
lines, start stop etc, although I know it works on Gentoo, so you'll need
to figure that one out. After 13 years of Linux administration I'm sure
you can do that.

-Ron