Help: NIST Net or NetEm ?

Hi,

I want to study the multi-path TCP behavior (single TCP connection over
multi-paths), and I am setting up the test bed. I have two machines,
each with two network cards. I have directly connected two eth0, and I
am trying to figure out how connect two eth1 to control the properties
of this connection, so that I can study the TCP on multiple different
paths (different in terms of latency, bandwidth, etc). I know two
possible choices:

1. Use NIST Net. Put a third machine as a gateway between two eth1,
install NIST Net on this machine so as to control the property of this
path, and use TEQL at end nodes to send packets to both paths.
Questions: How to configure TEQL when there is a gateway (I only found
examples with two direct connections)? Furthermore, can NIST Net be
bound to only eth1 of an end computer so that I don't even need a
gateway machine?

2. Use NetEm. I just learned about it from the mailing list today. It
seems that NetEm can be bound to one interface (eth1 in this case), so I
don't need a third computer to control the path properties. Is it true?
Which method is better? Is there any method?

Thanks a lot,
-Ji