Re: htb child classes don't borrow form "parent's parent class" :(

On Saturday 18 June 2005 16:53, Bernd Froemel wrote:
> Just that I don't make any more mistakes, would this tree work
> as I expect it (with the groups and users and priority stuff)?

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't at home over the weekend.
The tree looks better now, except the class rates still don't add up

>  \--- 1:1 HTB Root Class (10MBit) [The total link capacity]

Children of this class have 3MBit+3MBit+3MBit == 9MBit, should be 10.

>       |    \--- 1:a1 HTB Child Class (1MBit/10MBit) prio 1

Children of this class have 120kbit+120kbit+120kbit == 360kbit, should be
1MBit.

>       |    \--- 1:b1 HTB Child Class (1MBit/10MBit) prio 2

Same here.

For my own setup, I'm using a script that converts all rates into bps (or
whatever is the smallest unit available) and then does the math for the
child classes automatically. I recommend you do something similar. Your
classes will have a lot more borrowing to do if you don't maximize their
guaranteed rates.

About the priority stuff, I'm not sure if it will work the way you expect
it, because I don't know exactly what you expect. Classes with low
priority won't be allowed to borrow, if there is another class with higher
priority that wants to borrow.

As a result, on full links (and links that require shaping are usually
full), low priority classes usually don't get to borrow anything at all.

I suggest not using the prio parameter at all in the beginning; logical
errors in the shaping setup are much more obvious if you don't have to
consider priority also. Later, if you find that you require additional
prio for HTB classes, you can start experimenting with it and see if the
results fit your requirements.

HTH
Andreas