Re: Re: ADSL Calculator

Ed W wrote:

Bittorrent is harder to shape than most things.

I think the issue is lots of connections all going into fast start?

I liked Andy's idea of having a seperate queue for the first few Kbytes of new connections and pegging it with a VERY short queue length. This means that connections in fast start will get a packet drop very early on unless they play very nicely

Getting new connections out of slow start like this helps my ingress shaping for browsing - not bittorrent, though, it cycles through existing connections doing tit for tat, speculative and when new chuncks are available so they go in and out of slow start after they have passed data already.

See the last few paragraphs of the protocol for the choking rule.

http://www.bittorrent.com/protocol.html

Andy.