Re: linux ip forwarding problem

If I understand you correct, you have only a route on both nodes which tells one node, that the other node is directly attached to the interface. I don't know you ip range - but it would look like this (if you are on
192.168.1/24):

   ip ro add 192.168.2/24 dev eth1

So it trys to make an ARP request to find the other node, because with "dev eth0" you have defined, that the requested network is directly reachable on eth1. But on eth1 there is only your gateway...

Because you didn't specify the gateway address, the gateway does not react. You can make it react, if you enable proxy_arp on the gateways interfaces - then, if one node trys to reach the other one, the gateway will say "here, i have the ip!", because it knows, that the requested node is attached on its other network
interface... but this is not what you want.

By specifing the gateway address, the nodes know, that they has to forwarded all packets - which they have
to send to the other node - to the gatway address...

Andreas

ji.li3@xxxxxx wrote:

Thank you all for the help!

I thought the problem is that ip forwarding is not working on the middle
node, but actually all the problems are the routing tables on the two end
nodes. I only specified which network interface to send the packet in the
routing table of two end nodes and didn't specify the gateway for the two
end nodes. I thought that each end node will just send packets to the
corresponding interface in the routing table, and the middle node will
just forward everything it receives. The middle node does receive all the
packets, but it never forwards to its second network interface. Would any
one please explain a little why this happened?

Thanks again for your kind help!

Regards,
-Ji