Re: htb: HowTo identify squid cache hits

On Thu, 26 May 2005 15:32:42 +0200 Peter Kaagman <p.kaagman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Problem was that those game playing students are concentrated in 2 of
>our 6 physical locations... and they consumed the bandwidth which the
>other location would like to use for educational purposes.
Actually, according to my experience, online gaming requires only a little
bandwidth (~3-5kB/s) but sustained over a longer period. Furthermore, if the
latency jumps above ~200ms it becomes less playable, and above about 500ms it's
practically useless, so noone will be able to play anyway. IMHO your bandwidth
is consumed by P2P applications or worms, which have a much more serious effect
on this.

I have a linux distribution (Route Hat) optimised for this type of application
(many unrelated computers sharing the same line). It may help you and even if
not directly, you can take some hints from the scripts. In fact several
dormitories already use it to great satisfaction.

>Peter Kaagman
Yours sincerely,
Peter