Cc: lartc
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 2:48 AM
Subject: Re: Spill over

Taylor & Chris (and the list)

The arguments behind my choice here is cost driven, the 64kbps line is a fixed monthly rate for unlimited use, the 512kbps line costs us roughly ZAR250 per 3GB of usage. This can get quite expensive as the lines in question is for a college and we all know what students do to bandwidth :)

Taken the amount we pay every month for the 64kbps line it's more economical to over utilize the link as a primary connection than to have it lying around as a backup. South Africa and data connections don't go well in the same sentence...

As Chris suggested, I need something that can detect when Link A is saturated and then redirect the traffic over Link B until there is available bandwidth on Link A again. The rate limit trick of Taylor might work once I get to understand the usage patterns of these students. But for at least the first 3 months I won't have proper data at my disposal.

Thanks for your replies!