ATM with linux router

Does anyone here have experience with an ATM connection from their ISP
running into a linux based router?

We have a DS3 circuit for which we we thought we could use an SBE
wanpci-1t3 card. The isp verified the card would work with their
network, but apparantly didn't cross check the particular circuit they
were providing us.

Is it possible to do the IP packet <-> ATM cell segmentation and
reassembly in the kernel without hardware support? If not are there
cards anyone here is using successfully to interface with an ATM link?

Are there any ATM switches or hubs that handle that piece of the puzzle
and provide a serial connection we could connect to the SBE card?

I have the feeling these are dumb questions and apologize if that's so.
Until yesterday I had zero experience with ATM. If I'm way off topic,
just ignore this.

Thanks,
--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia