Complex Traffic shaping setup

Hi!

I have the following setup using iproute2:

========
| Root |
========

    ------------| Box Level 1 |

           ===============
    ------------| Box Level 2 |

    ------------|    Users    |
                ===============

                       ------------|    User 1   |

                       ------------|    User 2   |
                       |           ===============
                       |
                       |           ===============

------------|     User 3  |
                                   ===============

I am using HTB for each node, simply because it supports burst mode.

There are box level classes (top level classes) that might limit bandiwdth based on protocols (http, smtp etc)
Then there are users classes which rate limit each user to a specific rate.

Each Box Level and User Classes have associated Qdiscs as well.

The issue is that HTB seems to be rate limiting only if I attach filters at the root (1:).

Since classification for box level classes may also match more specific user filters are well, one of the two things happen:

1. If the prio of the filters for Box level is higher or equal than that of Users, packets are only sent to the box level class, and since the rate at box level class is generally higher, the user starts exceeding his limit.
2. If the prio of the User filter is higher, packets matching the user filter are never sent to the Box level classes, making the box level rate for a particular protocol exceed the required for all users put together.

Is there a solutions to this issue? I am unable to really find a solution since filters can only be applied to the root!

Thanks in advance!
Padam Singh.
begin:vcard
fn:Padam Singh
n:Singh;Padam
org:Inventum Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
adr:SDA Commercial Complex;;C-17;New Delhi;Delhi;110016;India
email;internet:padam.singh@xxxxxxxxxxx
title:Sr. Solutions Architect
tel;work:+91-11-55650222
tel;fax:+91-11-26518800