Re: VOIP Challenges...

I'm very
tempted to just go back to my Cisco gear for the QoS and leave this stuff
be.

The only last lucid--somewhat--thought that I had was that I might need to
slow down my eth1 connection, which is to the switch, and hence all devices
including my desktop--the one which hogs all bandwidth--because maybe the
Vonage box can't get through. Only trouble with that theory, though, is
watching in Ethereal, the SIP packets come in with no delay... It's the RTP
stuff that gets hung up on the way out.

I think you need to backup a bit and do some more debugging. You need to discover if your QOS is working or not on your data. If it is, then remember that you have full control of the outgoing connection so no queuing should ever occur if you don't want it o. If your packets are being held up then change your packet marking so that they dont. You are going to have the same problems on your CISCO box I should think if it's just a config problem.

The other issue though is that you might genuinely be releasing packets too fast and getting queuing on your modem buffer. Try turning down the outlet speed quite a lot, say 50% and see how you get on. Debug that part first before turning it up again.

Also try to turn on some kind of QOS bits with the vonage router so that it's a little easier to mark your packets. Use something like ethereal or tcpdump to check that everything really is going to and from the addresses that you think it is.

Please also trim your replies when sending to mailing lists...

Good luck

Ed W