Re: VOIP Challenges...

> Greetings -
>
> I'm new to QoS, so please be gentle (and yes, I've RTFM, though I
> don't understand every bit of it)

> Here's the thing; I've tried several scripts--simple and complex--
> for classifying my Vonage traffic into a high-priority queue, but no
> matter what I do it doesn't seem to work.  Right now I'm using the
> HTB script I'll include below, which is a mashing together of
> several scripts I've found along with a lot of the LARTC HOWTO
> stuff.  Bottom line; if I load up my *outbound* connection and then
> try to make a Vonage call, my voice is so chopped up at the other
> end that noone can understand me.

> If it makes a difference, I *am* getting a few errors when I run
> this script, but I'm a relative newbie to QoS so I'm not sure where
> my errors lie.  I also thought that I might be having trouble with
> my MARKs in IPTABLES, so I tossed in a line to filter based on IP
> DST/SRC instead of relying on the marks (in a different, working
> IPTABLES script).

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

It looks like you're trying to send VoIP to the root class. Instead, create a separate high priority class just for VoIP (alongside of your ones for ssh etc) and instead of SFQ, attach a PFIFO queue. Also, shorten the lengths on queues for non-interactive traffic. Keep the VoIP PFIFO default length, and this will prevent the HTB from dropping VoIP packets when your other classes need to hand back bandwidth when you start a call.

-Ron