From: Doug Johnson [mailto:doug.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 5:29 PM
To: 'lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject:  Redundant Links Routing

I have two LANS connected by two different pipes:

            -------------                -------------
   LAN 1 --|--eth0  eth1-|-- VPN link --|-eth1  eth0--|-- LAN 2
           |             |              |             |
           |             |              |             |
           |             |              |             |
           |        eth2-|-- T1  Link --|-eth2        |
            -------------                -------------

VPN - Link over the Internet 3mb Fiber
T1 - Fractional - equaling 256k bandwidth

I am looking to have a dominant route between LANS over the VPN link. The T1
Link is a backup. My questions are the following:

If I do a split access between the VPN and T1 links giving weight of a 1 to
the VPN and a weight of 2 to the T1 link and I should loose either
connection am I correct to say that I will still suffer loss of connections.
I am assuming that the weighting option being round robin is not ideal for
redundant setups. Is it primarily for load balancing? Am I wrong here?

Second question, would it be a better solution to tie the links together for
load sharing as chapter 10 states in the Adv-Routing-HOWTO?

My problem is not load, but routing for unlike redundant lines. I could care
less if anything goes across the T1 link unless the VPN link goes down. The
idea is to have the Linux boxes eliminate manual re-routing in the event of
a link failure. Maybe I have missed the ideal setup altogether.

Any point in the right direction would be a great help.

Thanks much in advance,
Doug