facilities to output to monitoring interfaces

How can one copy packets to a monitoring interface?
For a start I'd like to know how to just copy all of those
that arrive on eth1 out to eth2 in addition to whatever else
would normally happen to them.

After that, a number of interesting possibilities:

- Copy only those with specified properties.
(I suppose a random probability of copying fits into this
category.)

- Copy only those that are actually sent (so if the packet
is dropped anywhere along the way there's no "false positive").

- Copy only part of the packet, say, only the first 64 bytes.

- Extract specified parts of packets and collect the results
into larger packets that hold the data for many of the original
packets.