Interface not marked down when links are down

Hi,

I am not sure if this problem has already being
posted, but I haven't found any solution. Excuse me if
it's a repost but would appreciate any pointers.
I have newly configured Multipath default route. I
have 1  local connection and 4 internet connections. I
am using kernel 2.6.7 and have applied Julian's
relevent patches.
When the next hop is down, julian's patch takes care
of the links changing the route to only the links
which it finds are up and forwarding traffic to those
links. But if the problem is anywhere in between,
beyond the next hop, the links are not marked
identified as down (I down see the change in multipath
default route) and requests still go via them and
hence no connectivity, even if some other links are
up.
Does Julian's patch takes care of route only if next
hop is down. Any solution to this problem?

Thanks,
SPJ