Re: Good pratice with a Linux Gateway / Traffic Shapping

Hi!

I am not very experienced, but maybe i can help you.

TechSupport wrote:
Hi,
I am the network administrator of my company, I know quite well Windows networking and a few about Linux and its amazing routing and QOS capabilities.
Right now, we have a bustable T1, which mean that the bill increase with out T1 use.
I have decided to find a way to shape the traffic so I can stay at a raisonable speed of 256 kb/s (Up/down) on my T1.
I have linux gateway with 2 nics behind a PIX firewall.
Right know, the gateway and the pix are configured in a way so I can have a network segment inside my internal network.
The Linux version is suse PRO 9.2
My questions are (yes, they are several questions)

what is the best method to use to shape the traffic on my linux gateway ?

I think you should use HTB method.
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/
Limit the incoming and/or outgoing bandwith, maybe make some subclasses to have garantied bandwith for web, mail, etc.
You should attach an SFQ qdisc to the most popular classes.

I know that there is several possibilities, like wondershaper script , htb.init script and even l7-filter but I still confused about the right procedure that I have to use.

most probably, I have to customize my script so it can reflect what I want, I know also that I have to learn pretty much on those different shaping methods, but is there some good books/ internet site where I can find some usefull information about that ? I also looking for some guides that could help me to begin the project.
also, is there a way to make the shaping different for particular ips or protocols ? I know that I can mark some packets but still confused how to make all the stuff work.

The linux world is so huge that I am pretty lost ... so different method, so many considerations, patches to apply, stuff like that. I want to learn and master my network, and working hard is not a problem. The problem is maybe when a newby starts to enter the linux world, it is quite confusing ... Anyway, I am ready to work hard on this project and I hope I can count on the linux community to give me a little help.
I know that those questions are maybe already been asked by other people in the same situation. So I will try to create a guide as the project will evolve and make it available on the net for everybody. I really need some advices here because I know that it is possible.
Any help will be apreciated.

This site helped me a lot, to understand: http://www.knowplace.org/shaper/

I didn't use any prepared scripts but write my own using iptables and tc basic commands. If you are a network administrator i recommend this to you too, because this is the way to really understand what you do.

--
Udv,
  Nandor

Ps. Welcome to the linux community!