Good pratice with a Linux Gateway / Traffic Shapping

Hi,
I am the network administrator of my company, I know quite well Windows networking and a few about Linux and its amazing routing and QOS capabilities.
Right now, we have a bustable T1, which mean that the bill increase with out T1 use.
I have decided to find a way to shape the traffic so I can stay at a raisonable speed of 256 kb/s (Up/down) on my T1.
I have linux gateway with 2 nics behind a PIX firewall.
Right know, the gateway and the pix are configured in a way so I can have a network segment inside my internal network.
The Linux version is suse PRO 9.2
My questions are (yes, they are several questions)
> what is the best method to use to shape the traffic on my linux gateway ?
I know that there is several possibilities, like wondershaper script , htb.init script and even l7-filter but I still confused about the right procedure that I have to use.
> most probably, I have to customize my script so it can reflect what I want, I know also that I have to learn pretty much on those different shaping methods, but is there some good books/ internet site where I can find some usefull information about that ? I also looking for some guides that could help me to begin the project.
> also, is there a way to make the shaping different for particular ips or protocols ? I know that I can mark some packets but still confused how to make all the stuff work.
The linux world is so huge that I am pretty lost ... so different method, so many considerations, patches to apply, stuff like that. I want to learn and master my network, and working hard is not a problem. The problem is maybe when a newby starts to enter the linux world, it is quite confusing ... Anyway, I am ready to work hard on this project and I hope I can count on the linux community to give me a little help.
I know that those questions are maybe already been asked by other people in the same situation. So I will try to create a guide as the project will evolve and make it available on the net for everybody.
I really need some advices here because I know that it is possible.
Any help will be apreciated.
Sorry for my english ...

Romain Pelissier
9900 Cavendish Blvd., suite 200