Re: wondershaper with ssh on a non-standard port

Hi,

having read the docs and the wondershaper script itself, it occurred to me that the documentation promises an immediate drop in interactive app latency, specifically mentioning SSH as a big winner. however, looking through the script i can't really tell just *how* wondershaper figures out which port my SSH daemon is running on.

so what i'd like to know is, if i'm running my sshd on, say, port 222, do i need to make any changes to the wondershaper script, or will it figure out the right number automagically (e.g. from /etc/services, where SSH is already correctly assigned to port 222) ?
(conversely, does it 'need' to figure out this port number at all?)

It's been a while since I looked through wondershaper, but the relevant lines are apparently these:

   # TOS Minimum Delay (ssh, NOT scp) in 1:10:

   tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
         match ip tos 0x10 0xff  flowid 1:10

So it seems to be matching based on the "type of service" bits in the IP packet. I seem to remember that SSH actually sets the IP tos bits correctly?

So it *should* work when ssh is on another port. I guess you need to either tweak the script (if you want a quick fix then just mark anything to/from port 222 as high priority), or else figure out why your packets aren't matching the required rule....

Good luck

Ed W