wondershaper with ssh on a non-standard port

greetings all,

i've searched high and low for this, but can't seem to find an answer
anywhere..

having read the docs and the wondershaper script itself, it occurred to
me that the documentation promises an immediate drop in interactive app
latency, specifically mentioning SSH as a big winner.
however, looking through the script i can't really tell just *how*
wondershaper figures out which port my SSH daemon is running on.

so what i'd like to know is, if i'm running my sshd on, say, port 222,
do i need to make any changes to the wondershaper script, or will it
figure out the right number automagically (e.g. from /etc/services,
where SSH is already correctly assigned to port 222) ?
(conversely, does it 'need' to figure out this port number at all?)

i ask because while ping time latency has indeed fallen for me since
wondershaper was installed, my custom-port SSH connections are as slow
as ever, especially during large file uploads..

my setup in a nutshell:
- current Debian GNU/Linux 'testing' distribution ('sarge', updated daily)
- kernel 2.4.27 (Debian 'testing' default, not customized)
- wondershaper (v. 1.1a) (from current Debian 'testing')
- Shorewall (v. 2.0.13) also from 'testing'
- 4 Mbit ADSL link via 'modem' on eth0

thank you in advance!

-p

--
If economists were doctors, they would today be mired in malpractice suits.
 - John Ralston Saul