Re: Sharing/splitting bandwidth on a link while bandwidth of the link is variable (or unknown) ?

Hello,

I want to share/split bandwidth on a link with unknown bandwidth. I want to exactly
share/split bandwidth (for example : FTP 30% , HTTP 20% or 30% for a group of PCs and so forth.)
"Traffic-Control-HOWTO" talk that PRIO scheduler is an ideal match for "Handling a link with a variable (or unknown) bandwidth".
But PRIO scheduler can not exactly share/split bandwidth .
Could you tell me if I can exactly share/split bandwidth on a link with a variable (or unknown) bandwidth? If it is possible, how can I do that ?

[Warning irony ahead]
I'll give you a complete script if you tell me how many bits/sec exactly 30% of unknown is.
[/irony]

In other words: You don't know how much there is available, I don't know it, the list doesn't know it and your computer can't know it either. So no - that's not possible (and should be evident, hopefully)

What you CAN do is let some ping run alongside and react to changes in the latency it sees across the link - then adapt the script and thus changing the parameters. This needs lot of experimentation, is a bad hack but maybe it is sufficient for what you are trying to achieve.

Otherwise, find a minimum value of bandwidth you never drop below and set that as the maximum bandwidth available for your root qdisc. This gives you the predictability.

Or : find a better line/ISP. Find and drop abusive users/applications.

But all in all, there's not much you can actually do in your situation.
--

C U