Re: qdisc statistics

* felix <41D555A8.7010601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2004-12-31 13:35
> My understanding is that the lended and borrowed stats are expressed as
> a number of packets but over what time period do the numbers refer?

Since the qdisc/class was loaded or since the last overflow. For
the sent statistics, both byte and packet counter exist.

> In addition, for a particular class why do the lended and borrowed
> figures add up to the sent value? That is, if a class 'lends' bandwidth,
> why do the packets still appear in its 'sent' stat alongside those it
> borrowed?

Those are qdisc specific statistics. borrowed may even have a different
unit depending on your compile time options. What particular qdisc are
you refering to?

> How do I obtain the actual rate used for a class - as opposed to the
> assigned rate? This is what I really want and I was hoping there would
> be some relationship such as:

Set up a rate estimator it will return the current estimated rate
in pps/bps. You may specify whatever time interval you prefer.
Note: the rate estimator uses sent statistics which are counted
in enqueue, therefore no borrowing taken into account.

> the lended and borrowed stats refer. Also, lended and borrowed are given
> in packets, the rates are expressed in bytes or bits per second, so
> presumably, I will need to calculate an average packet size.

In HTB yes, CBQ can also count in bytes.