qdisc statistics

Hi,
I am trying to relate the lended and borrowed statistics to the others and, in particular, compare them with the assigned rates for each class.

My understanding is that the lended and borrowed stats are expressed as a number of packets but over what time period do the numbers refer?

In addition, for a particular class why do the lended and borrowed figures add up to the sent value? That is, if a class 'lends' bandwidth, why do the packets still appear in its 'sent' stat alongside those it borrowed?

How do I obtain the actual rate used for a class - as opposed to the assigned rate? This is what I really want and I was hoping there would be some relationship such as:

actual rate = assigned rate + borrowing rate - lending rate

except, as mentioned above, I need to know the time period over which the lended and borrowed stats refer. Also, lended and borrowed are given in packets, the rates are expressed in bytes or bits per second, so presumably, I will need to calculate an average packet size.

Many thanks for your help,
Happy New Year,
-Paul