Re: Weighted packet shaping?

Mark Williams (MWP) wrote:
Ok.

My Linux (which is connected to the ADLS modem) box runs HTTP, FTP, etc services and also runs bittorrent, edonkey,
etc.
I have two other PCs (both windows) which connect to the internet via the Linux
box (MASQ).

Now, i want data like SSH, ICMP, DNS from any source to ppp0 to get top priority.
I want the two windows PCs to get 2nd priority.
I want services to get 3rd, and the rest (torrents, etc) to get the lowest
priority.

I have this setup atm using HTB and SFQ.

Now this is what happens:
I have bittorrent going as fast as possible outbound.
I then use my linux box to send FTP data over the same link.

Im finding that packet shaping is splitting the outbound bandwidth (256kbit)
equally between the two.

This is not what im after...  want the windows box to take more bandwidth off
bittorrent than 50% like it is atm.

Does this explain my problem better?

Yes, you can do this with htb.

You'll need to back off a bit from 256kbit to allow for overheads - this is tweakable with patch Ed posted to the list - you could also shape incoming, but you would need IMQ which involves patching/doing new kernel.

For now try making a parent with rate and ceil 220kbit.
Have 4 child/leaf classes like - (assuming 1 is highest priority)

class 1 rate 120 ceil 220 prio 0
class 2 rate 50 ceil 220 prio 1
class 3 rate 25 ceil 220 prio 2
class 4 rate 25 ceil 220 prio 3

There are other tweaks you can try, it depends how much you care about latency. You could also share the windows boxes bandwidth by IP.

I don't do it quite like the above - so if it doesn't work, say and I'll think again.

Andy.