How To start

Hi group,

I am a newbie to Taffic contol. I came across many new terms and technical documantation and technology along with this new intrest of mine.

After 2 weeks i am unable to find a good starting point.
there are cbq, HTB, classifies MARK and all sorts of things
The apge at by MAB given me a introduction to all sorts of Terms.
I am now reading LARTC How to as any Linux traffic doc. points to this.
And This is really good.
and I am doing RTMF, But can i develop my vision in knowing which all are amings cbq,HTB,... are going to be more useful to me or I will need all kinds of things.

HOW can i develop a vision to know what is going to be useful to me.

Currently i want to manage my traffic to limit or control IP wise or rather user wise.
I am planning to give my LAN users a ID for Internet so that I can manage them user wise.
My question Would be How to start learning the basics So that I can also start using the concepts practically.

Thanks in advance