QoS success with FC3 native 2.6 ipsec

I just wanted to drop a success notice to the list.  We always hear the
failures, and rarely the successes!  ;-)

After switching from FC1 and freeS/WAN ipsec to the new native linux 2.6
ipsec (ie: setkey-based) my QoS code suddenly started working properly!

Previously, with FC1 and freeS/WAN, I found it impossible and rather
buggy (kernel panics!) to get QoS to make any difference at all.  My
main goal was to give high priority to VoIP-over-ipsec-over-PPPoE
traffic. HTB with freeS/WAN and linux 2.4 caused kernel panics.  CFQ and
other schemes showed no difference.  I believe the freeS/WAN virtual
interface (ipsec0) over PPPoE (ppp0) was just impossible to qdisc
properly as there were too many layers with too much complication.  And
I tried *everything* I (and others) could think of.

Now for the success part: I switched to FC3 and native 2.6 linux ipsec
(setkey) and after a number of issues setting that up ;-) my original
QoS ideas and code worked perfectly on the first try after a little
rewrite.  I think this is because native ipsec is much simpler and more
transparent and doesn't have a separate virtual interface.  If you're
wanting QoS over ipsec, I'd go this route over free or openSWAN.

For notes on my ipsec setup issues, see my posts on