Is 'publish' proxy arp still broken ?

Can't get proxy arp with arp -s <IPaddr> <MACaddr> pub to work with a 2.4 kernel. I see some evidence in the archive
that this was broken in the 2.0.x timeframe and never fixed.

Anyone know for sure if it's broken or working ?

(I'm attempting to route a few addresses into a routed
network, from the ethernet side of a DSL router that
has a /29 public subnet). The proxy_arp flag thing
won't help because the destination subnet is not on
any of the ethernet interfaces on the router machine
(it's off a few hops distant in the middle of our network).

Thanks!