How can I discern egress traffic than ingress traffic?

I have two interfaces, eth0 and eth1 but i can't
discern the egress traffic than ingress traffic. I
need to apply htb qdisc in both directions, and I read
that I need the IMQ patch to do this, because in
ingress qdisc i can't apply htb qdisc...but where is
the ingress qdisc? affect the traffic that goes from
eth0 to eth1 or is for the traffic that goes from eth1
to eth0?