Re: simple dual Internet connection setup not sending return packetson correct interface

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 21:40 -0800, gypsy wrote:

> Guessing from the lack of any mention of KeepState

KeepState?  If you are referring to:

52459 2774K ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0        state RELATED,ESTABLISHED

rules, I have those sprinkled throughout my ruleset where necessary.
The iptables "snippet" I included in my previous message was just that.
Just the relevant portion that does the NATting.

> in your iptables
> setup,

Like I said, the RELATED,ESTABLISHED state rules are in there.  My full
set of iptables rules is >400.  I did not see see a need to post that
fully here.

>  my guess is that you ignored the advice to vist Julian
> Anastasov's web site.

No I didn't ignore it.  But what that site is promoting is some kind of
floppy disk based router distribution or something.

> Start with this:
> http://www.geocities.com/mctiew/ffw/dual.htm

I am not looking to replace/rebuild my whole firewall.  I simply want to
add a second link to my existing one and have the packets use the
correct interface -- to travel back out the interface from which they
came.

I don't want to do load balancing or failover or anything fancy.  I want
two interfaces where I use one for all outgoing traffic and the only
time the alternate is used is to send response packets to connections
that come _in_ that interface or for routes that are specifically
directed through that interface via a routing table entry.

> You should also google LARTC "Finally: A working case of two adsl load
> balance".  Read Ron Senykoff's post "load balance a file download across
> two connections - success!".

Interesting.  Followed a few links too.  Looks like a lot of bells and
whistles I am not really looking for (load balancing and failover, etc.)
but there is some hint of indication that there is a patch needed to
make sure NAT uses the right physical interface.  Maybe I will go bug
the netfilter guys to see if this is the case.

Thanx,
b.